Monday, June 16, 2008

I'm sitting here wearing a daft woolly hat/scarf thingy and feeling a bit sore. The space where my tonsills were last week is still not quite healed and I still need the occasional painkiller. I do wish they had been removed when I was young but at least this year I should be free of sore throats etc which are no joke when you're asthmatic and middle aged.

I look at the pictures of some celebrities and think how can they look like that when they are my age. I suspect that some of these images are just not real but are doctored in various ways to make them look good. Fantasy land rules. The problem with this is that most of us live in the real world and have to put up with whatever we inherited. There is just no way I could ever look like Sharon Stone or Madonna even if I had unlimited access to make overs, physical trainers and surgery.

Its not that I think they should look like me. Its that I think all of us should have value whatever our appearance. One of the worst things mass media has inflicted on us is the belief that if we don't look a certain way, our value as a person is decreased. Consequently I have noticed that there is a split in our values where images are concerned. For most of us once we have accepted that we can't be perfect the world merely becomes somewhere to do your best and accept people as they are. Others unfortunately still remain in fantasy land. Wouldn't it be nice if the media stopped grovelling before the high priestess of fashion and actually reported on things for real.

No comments: