Friday, August 1, 2008

sustainability

What does sustainability mean to me.....that my kids will have a good place to inherit and pass on to future generations (even if they don't turn out to be mine.)

That I only use my own share of the things available and that those things be as near as possible to impact free (sometimes I'm not as good at this as I think I should be ;).

That I take the skills I have been taught and teach them in turn to others who will use them too. I do believe in pay it forward and also in good karma.

Balance is also important. If you give, you must be prepared to receive. People get resentful if they receive and cannot get the pleasure of giving in return. It makes them feel inferior and may also make you feel smugly superior. This applies not only to people but also to groups and political bodies.

Good ethical standards are what I try to aim for. (not morals - these are cultural or religious in basis and while I do respect what others believe as their own choice, I do not give them leave to run roughshod over mine.)

That's about it really. I could go on for pages but that would get tedious so feel free to comment about what I've left out.

viv in nz

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Great post! I agree about my daughter, balance, and ethics!

Will add you to my blogroll.

Can you look at your settings and see if you can change them so I can comment with Name/URL? Not sure if that is possible but thought I would check.... Have a great day!

ruchi said...

Great post! I like what you say about if you give, be prepared to receive. Excellent point. :)

Please make sure to email the url of this post to aplscarnival (at) gmail (dot) com so we are sure to include you in the carnival.

Thank you!!

knutty knitter said...

Davina I'm not sure this has worked but we did try to change a few things. SOMETHING may have happened :)

Arduous I hope this is right fir the carnival

viv in nz

ib mommy said...

Wow! You know, it's funny..... my kids and I always notice that people seem to be living in their own little universe these days. Everyone's in a hurry, people are rude, no ethics.... I never thought of this as an unsustainable lifestyle but your post really got me thinking about this. It's not all about being physically sustainable. Thanks, I just had a little attitude adjustment!

Bobbi said...

My concerns are also about what I'm leaving my daughters and what we're leaving them, as Americans,is a huge debt. And an ongoing failure to get serious about energy.

Green Bean said...

I love the point about balance, giving and receiving. Wise words indeed.